Sunday, February 28, 2010

Logomania!

Continuing my logo inspired posting, today I want to discuss negative space logos. Their elegance is their simplicity. Their effectiveness is in the hidden messages you will find within my favorite ones. I love logos that you have to look at and understand what they are for before you see the real message behind it. In that, the most simplistic logos are often the most complex. Hidden messages also work on another level - when you "get" the secret message they convey, you feel smart, you feel special, and you feel like you were included in this inside joke. They go a long way to making the consumer feel great about your product or company, and more likely to consume whatever product or service you are selling. I've done a few negative space logos in my time, and several more that were rejected, because the company wanted a migh resolution raster graphic - something like you'd see on a webpage, or they themeselves didn't "get" the message. Those customers frustrate me. When creating my logos, I generally make sure the logo can simply put into a one, two or three color version, full color - making sure there's enough "play" in the logo to ensure that it COULD be put into a dynamic full color, fully animated version for television or internet as well as a black and white and greyscale version. Yes dear readers, a LOT of planning and thought goes into even the simplest logo. Ever wonder why even the most wealthy companies only do a two color logo? Too many colors is too confusing, too expensive to reproduce offset, and too busy. Think Telus, any sports teams, FedEx, Amazon, UPS, 7-Eleven... the list goes on. Simple logos, simple color schemes. It's done for a reason, folks. There are a few exceptions to the rule. Like Google for example. Since they are a mainly online company, they can get away with having a very multi-colored logo as their main logo. But note - it can easily go into a fully animated vector, a black and white or greyscale version easily. Another reason companies may opt for a full color logo is easy. They're rich, and want you to know it.

So what exactly IS a negative space logo? Just in case I didn't explain it very well - I have a tendancy to do that, so why exactly do I have a blog? They say those who can't do - teach. Well, I can't teach, so what does that say about me?

I digress. I thought I should give an example (a very famous one) of a negative space image.
It's a vase. Or is it two faces looking at each other? It's both! And an example of negative space. The negative space around the vase forms the faces. The negative space around the faces form the vase. I've loved these images since I was a child, which may explain some of my fascination with logos that use this technique.


Now for some of my favorites:
FedEx
A very simple logo. Two colors, big, block lettering. What's hidden? Those of you who know about the "hidden" image are nodding your heads already. To some people, it's not even hidden at all, and some people will always have a hard time seeing it. Look between the E and the X. It's a forward moving arrow! Telling us all very easily and simply they are about moving forward. Moving their cargo, their service, their technology... Very well done, FedEx. And the nice thing about it is they use "Ex" for all their different services and offshoots of the company - always, always indicating to us that they are always moving forward. Nice.

This next logo I have never had the pleasure of seeing in person. I'd love to have the chance, but I love the logo the same. It's the Taiwan recycle logo. At first glance, I see a box that is made up of arrows showing movement inside the box. And look again, the entire image's negative space, you see arrows pointing out of the box. Showing the complex idea of recycling - taking something old or used and turning it into something useful. Almost every recycling logo has the use of arrows - usually pointing around in a circle, showing how you can endlessly recycle, but I especially love this one. The only thing I don't really like about it is how it looks vaguely like a swastika. Glad they didn't turn the logo 45 degrees...


Via Rail. Notice how the negative space between the letters suggests train tracks.




I love this one because it is whimsical. I have never had the pleasure of hearing the London Symphony Orchestra play, but I love their logo. At first glance it looks simply like brushstrokes spelling out the letters LSO for London Symphony Orchestra. Look again, and you see a very whimsical conductor wielding his baton. Very clever.

Honorable mentions:

Ireland's Unifil logo. They use the color scheme of their flag and the images of doves to make a negative space dove to illustrate their message of peace.

Hartford Whalers. When I was a kid, I had no idea what a whaler was, but I loved how the whale's tail completed the W, but it wasn't until I was older that I realized the negative space showed the H for Hartford.




Girl Scouts of America. The shape is a four leaf clover, inset with images and negative images of girls' faces.



I could go on for ever. There are so many examples of this, it would take me forever to show my favorites, but instead, I'll direct you to a favorite website of mine that shows many more examples: http://www.logodesignlove.com/negative-space-logo-design
And for the same examples shown here as there, no, I did not steal any ideas, just showing you my favorites from ones I have seen and loved. There are some very, very clever ones on his website, but many of the ones on his website I personally have not spotted in nature. See if you can spot all of the hidden messages, letters or symbols. Then, leave comments telling me about your favorite negative space logos - or just your favorite logos in general.

Next week: my least favorite logos and why. Ooooh! Isn't the suspense killing you?

No comments: