Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Setting goals

I am lucky enough to have the drive to become an entrepreneur, and am fulfilled enough by it. I've been a goal setter ever since I can remember, and owning my own business allows for that to happen in a very natural way. Set goal. Achieve goal. Set new goal and so on. I'm also lucky enough to work in an industry I LOVE. Yay me! I never feel like I am "at work" and always arrive work feeling optimistic and refreshed, and leave feeling satisfied and fulfilled.

But long work hours, unpaid weekends at work and no vacations (for four years running!!) can take their toll on a lady. Burnout is a major cause of lady business owners to go a little crazy, and I've been close (and more) several times!

I've had the chance to go to a Women in Business Conference put on by my local Chamber of Commerce, where I got to network with a bunch of other women entrepreneurs, and having that peer group to spend a day with can do wonders. They understand what you've been through. What you're going through. You can understand, commiserate, encourage... We had workshops where we learned about what type of personality we have, and how to make that work in our workplaces. We got hypnotized to visualize and achieve our goals! It was like my mini vacation. This came on the heels of a Regional Franchise Conference where we were told how awesome we're doing as franchise owners, and how to become more successful. It was like the week of being uplifted! And if that only comes once a year, I will take it and cherish it! And then I got the chance to listen to Frank O'Dey speak. He is the co-founder of Second cup and his 'rags to riches' story will make you cry, make you think, make you act! His call to action of: "Hope, Vision, Action" should be a call for all of us! If this man could pick himself up and become a successful entrepreneur and humanitarian, then there truly is hope for ALL of us.

Now how about THAT for an uplifting and inspiring message?

I endeavor to arrive at work feeling refreshed and ready to accomplish all my goals. I will remember to be a kind, understanding but firm employer. A friend who is there, and will listen. A mother who's love knows no bounds. And a promise to be true to myself. To live well, laugh often and love deeply.
I WILL accomplish my goals. I WILL become the woman I know I was always destined to be.

Thanks to the universe for arranging my uplifting week. It worked.
Now, back to work for me! <3 br="br">

No comments: