Monday, July 5, 2010

Projects Undone.

After my leisurely four days off (it was marvelous, thanks) I started to feel a swelling of things left undone after my time off. I certainly crammed as much fun and rest as I possibly could, and managed to get all my housework done too. What more could I ask for?

Apparently a lot.

While taking my daughter on her shopping excursion this weekend, we stumbled into a bookstore. We spent more time in the bookstore than the clothing store, which made my nerdy heart happy. I'm glad I'm raising a beautiful AND smart kid. And in there, my book wish list grew! I have the list of books that I REALLY want to read, books I'd love to have the time to read, and all other books fall into the category. I'm never so lucky to always be reading the top of my wish list, but the good thing about it is that it never shrinks in size. There's always so many excellent books out there. And just setting foot into the bookstore, and my list did grow some more.
And I'm more and more interested in my daughter's interest in books and clothing and music as she gets older, and her book choice is much more interesting too! She was eying some Christopher Pike volumes that are being re-released. I remember reading those in Junior High! She started reading Buffy the Vampire Slayer novelizations, and was also very interested in VC Andrews. Oooh, a literary bug after my own heart! Makes me glad to know that I won't be the only one reading and re-reading some of my old favorites on the bookshelf downstairs. Ahhh!

But the little outing showed me that I still have too many things to do, and projects to tackle, and the genuine bliss of my time off has now paved the way for me to get some things done. And so, in true obsessive compulsive fashion, I've compiled a list of projects I would like to finish (or at least start) this summer:

- Read 'Catcher in the Rye'. Did you know that 'To Kill a Mockingbird' is now 50 years old? I will be reading this as a tribute to Lee Harper, but one good read deserves another. I've never read 'Catcher', and this is the summer to do it.

- Zombie Cross Stitch! OMG! I saw this in the bookstore this weekend. Super zombilicious! The creator of the kit also does a craft blog. I'm intending to try the kit out for size, and then make my own patterns.

- Get pictures framed. This is just a preliminary to the main event of getting my photo albums in order. Once I get my favorite prints framed, the rest will go easy right ... right?? It's a long overdue project!

- Finish Super Mario Bros. for the Wii. It's more of an obsession than anything else. Sad.

- Start work on the patio. I'm thinking of taking out all the grass to the one side of my walkway, putting in rock and wood chips, moving the firepit to this area, and having a cool rock patio. It'll happen. It just has to.

- Fix the bunny holes and other renovation issues. Nuff said.

- Read my wish list of books:
Chuck Palaniuk (part of my obsessive personality is to overdo things. Since I love Chuck, I must read all his books. It's obsessive, but I really love his writing.) I've yet to read: Survivor, Pygmy, Tell All. Must complete the collection...!

That's it for the summer. Part of me is sad that I didn't start any of these on my time off, but I think my mind is really glad I took the mental vacation. I needed it. Now the rest of the summer can be about work and serious relaxation activities! Once I get going on my zombie cross stitch, I'll definitely post pictures. Oooh, how exciting!

2 comments:

amy.g said...

you should have Steven over, he'll finish Super Mario for you.

Miss G said...

I've finished Super Mario now twice. I'm trying to collect the golden coins in worlds 9-2 through 9-8. Does he have any luck with that? If so, PLEASE send him over, I'm insane and need help!