Thursday, November 11, 2010

Lest We Forget

As a child growing up, the importance of Remembrance Day was one thing that was emphasized to me. It was important in the schools I went to, important in our family, and the importance was never lost on me. But to a child who has never seen war, or who has never had soldiers in her family, I often wondered what I was supposed to be remembering. Learning the history, honoring those who fought and paying homage to the ultimate sacrifice was what I did, but what was I to remember?

I heard on the radio today that more teenagers and young adults are treating this day of respect a lot differently than the youth of my generation because the youth today actually have a concept of wars. Friends and families have gone off to fight and some haven't returned, which puts the day into a different light than it did in the 80's and 90's.

Remembrance Day has been put into a new light for me now too. I now have a concept of what it feels like to be part of a nation sending soldiers off to fight. I have a concept of what terrorism looks like, and how easily freedoms can get taken away. And through my much larger network of friends and colleagues, I now have friends who have fought and who still fight for those freedoms. And it's a much more meaningful Remembrance Day when these friends can tell me their stories. A much more meaningful day when you lay a wreath in memory of someone, more meaningful when you can recall fond memories of your friends who are now off in a foreign land for your country. I've always observed this day solemnly, but now it has a significance that only age and time can provide. And I am thankful for that.

Today, I started my day with the ceremony in my hometown. Saw the colourguard marching, my nephew in his uniform, people I knew marching down the aisle. Laid a wreath at the end of the ceremony and observed the moment of silence at the cenotaph. Afterwards, I headed to my local Tim Horton's and had coffee with some friends, two of which had been soldiers in the British Army and one, a peacekeeper. Laughing and joking with these people has made me put this day into a perspective I never had before. From now on, when I think of remembrance day, I will think of these faces and be more grateful than ever before that I am free. I will remember.

Thank you.

1 comment:

Mitch said...

Thanks for sharing that. I hope that all Canadians have taken some time today to remember why we are free and the sacrifices that are still being made to keep us that way.