Sunday, June 6, 2010

Wedding Dress Blues

Well, it's a gorgeous day outside and my yard looks like a JUNGLE! Darn! I looked up yard and garden crafts, and sadly, everything looks way too ambitious for me! I'll be happy if I just mow the lawn, put away all the crap and get rid of our junk heap. SIGH. My yard project of building a fire pit and patio has to wait yet another year. Oh well. It'll happen, or by the time we've paid off this house and move, I'll hire someone to build me a gorgeous yard. Then I can blog about crafts in my beautiful space. Ahhh. Until then, I gotta get out and mow. So this is going to be a quick blog.

As I was internetting the blogosphere, I came across this site. Technically a DIY site - which I love. A guy had the unfortunate experience of waking up one morning to find his wife packing all her stuff, and moving out. What did she leave behind? Twelve years of marriage, two kids and her wedding dress. When he asked her if she wanted the dress, she said he could keep it - and do whatever he wanted with it. Which prompted him to wonder what a single guy would do with a used wedding dress. What follows is a blog of what a single guy might do with a wedding dress.

The blog is insightful and humorous, and touching and poignant in some ways - something that has caught even the author off guard. He openly admits he started the blog with the thought of publishing a funny picture book eventually. The fact that it's gotten so much attention is surprising. The fact that he's used it to heal his heart is even more so.

What I like about the blog - especially after my bitter divorce. Is that it has never put divorce or his ex wife in a bad light. If he has any anger towards this woman, it's not known to his readers. It's a testiment to healing, and being creative. While this is certainly crafty, I find myself a little sad that I already donated my dress to goodwill and not being able to test these uses out myself. Really, I'm glad I did rather than ruin the hell out of it, and I'm done my grieving and healing from my first (failed) marriage. But I'm sure you could do any of these 101 things to any article of clothing that has its own ghosts.
Enjoy!
http://myexwifesweddingdress.com/

No comments: