Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Art of Saying Goodbye...

So part of cleaning up and organizing my life has been getting my emotional baggage in order. Shocking, I know - that one as level headed as me even has emotional baggage in the first place, let alone enough to need organizing. I sarcastically digress...

I've learned many things in the past year, and am grateful for the hard lessons learned. As I move forward in my life, I know I will be happier for it.

1. Letting go of grudges. In the past year, I've been wronged. Seriously dissed. And I have every right in the world to be pissed off at the world and not given an ounce of forgiveness. And yet, I have given forgiveness. It wasn't even asked of me, but I gave it. And despite still feeling like I have been wronged, I give up on feeling angry and petty and am instead nice and happy and cheerful. And not even in a passive aggressive way. That simple act of forgiveness has given me more joy than I can explain. Try it one day. I promise it will make you happy.

2. Admitting fault. It's so hard to believe that I can even be wrong, right? But rather than trying to explain that there was a REASON I was wrong, and that I had good intentions, or that I had the right idea, I've given up on trying to explain myself. I've just been accepting that I'm wrong, shutting up and listening how to not do it wrong again.

3. Accepting help. This is probably one of the biggest lessons I had trouble learning. As far back as I can remember, I've done things on my own and my own way. If you don't like it, get OUT of my way... There is art and grace in turning down projects, and accepting help is NOT the same as admitting defeat.

4. Shutting up. I'm not known as a terrible gossip, but everyone at one time has been accused of sharing information that wasn't theirs to share. I've become so much better at not running off at the mouth (helped by the fact that there is no one at home who cares to listen to me anymore). Whether it's been collectively as a group shutting up about a sensitive topic, NOT speculating about something, or just simply not insisting on sharing my worldly knowledge with everyone I meet. I'm learning that I can, and contrary to myth, I will not explode. There is no dignity in gossip.

5. Life is short, so enjoy it. So many people say it, so few actually live it. Last year I buried someone far too young to die. And while it makes you hold your loved ones closer and say you love them for a while - try doing that every day. So instead of holding that grudge, instead of fighting with your spouse or child or boss or best friend, instead of passing on that piece of juicy gossip, admit your faults, accept help that is offered and live with that joy in your heart.

It's been hard applying all of these lessons as often as you can, but I experience more happiness and joy when I do.

No comments: