Saturday, October 16, 2010

So you wanna be a graphic designer?

When I went to school to be a graphic designer, I already had a very good base of knowledge to work from. Three years of Vis Comm in high school, knew how to burn plates, take apart a press and clean it, knew some design programs already and had some knowledge of layout on screen and off. A lot of what I learned in college was building on the foundation of what I already knew. I was probably farther ahead than some of the students who came into the program with less than me. But I think it's fair to say that when we left, my graduating class and I had mostly the same knowledge of graphic design after graduating. Maybe our design abilities differed, but we had the same facts going through our cranium.

I just cannot say the same for designers coming out of schools today.

And maybe it's not their fault. Or the school's fault. As a member of the graphic designer's guild of Canada, we talk about coming up with different certifications for different classes of designers. PGD for a Print Graphic Designer, a WGC for a Web Graphic Designer, MGD for Master Graphic Designer and so on. That way, there will be a professional accredation to specify what we can do, and a governing body making sure we adhere to those rules. Then, if you're looking for a web designer, it's easy to weed out the print designers who just wouldn't be the best fit. And so on.

Problem is, most schools aren't differentiating between the two, and the waters are getting muddy. I've had to explain relatively rudimentary graphic design concepts to professionals working in the field today who call themselves graphic designers. These people shouldn't - at the very least - be working unsupervised in the print industry. Which leads to the question - who is hiring these people? Do they have a design background? Are they choosing candidates with the best skill, or prettiest portfolio? Do the candidates themselves know they're not applying in the correct industries? It's probably a bit of all of the above. The people hiring for the position aren't in a position to be print experts themselves, and are trusting that the people applying for the job know, when that's not the case. Frustrating goes around in a circle, and the end result - the printer (often me) is left cleaning up the mess.

So, I've come up with a handy dandy list of questions an interviewer hiring a graphic designer should ask them. You don't even need to know the answers - just if they don't know, or can't answer one of these questions, you're better off continuing the search.

1. What is the difference between a vector file and a rastor file? Give specific examples.

2. What is RGB color? CMYK Color? Process Color and Pantone (PMS) Color? What is spot color? (And you thought there was only primary colors that made up the color wheel! tsk tsk!)

3. Name three programs for designing vector art.

4. Name two programs for designing rastor art.

5. What is a pdf?

6. What is Adobe? (I swear, if I ask one more graphic designer what file their design is in, and they answer with "Adobe", I'm gonna hit my head with a piece of adobe!)

7. Name three page layout programs.

8. What is DPI? LPI? And the difference between the two?

9. What is dot gain?

10. What is a bleed? What must you do to ensure your design bleeds properly? (if they say cut deeper, RUN!)

11. What is a gutter?

12. What is production ready (or camera ready) artwork? What must it have to qualify as such?

I'll have the answer to these questions in a later post. And I know, I don't have all the questions - these are just the ones that I have to answer on a regular basis. Frustrating, I know. So, all you graphic designers - grab your pencil and take the test! Fun for the whole family!

No comments: