Saturday, October 9, 2010

What are YOU Thankful for?

With the recent awesomeness going on with the shop and my professional career, it's easy to feel thankful this Thanksgiving. But I remember when I didn't feel so blessed, and it took a lot of thinking to come up with what I was thankful for. I was thankful for things like alcohol to dull the pain. Thankful that at least I wasn't a slave in a third world country, thankful that I wasn't living in the dark ages. If those are the only things you can think of to be thankful for, I feel for you. I was there once.

Being thankful is an art. When my daughter's father died earlier this year, our grief counselor had us write a gratitude journal. We both had to come up with five things everyday we were grateful for. It's such a worthwhile exercise to make a point every day to see the good in even a shitty situation. Some of them were a bit on the sad side, some funny, and some really showed me the endurance my daughter's spirit. Here is our list of things she was grateful for in the worst period of her life.

Things I am thankful for by Kat
1. I am thankful for teachers who let you cry in class.
2. I am thankful for friends who don't try to cheer you up, but just hold you and let you be sad.
3. I am thankful for sleeping. I didn't know being so sad was so tiring.
4. I am thankful for music. It can let you forget anything.
5. I am thankful for Twilight. Jacob is so cute.
6. I am thankful for breathing. Maybe tomorrow I won't be so sad. I want to keep breathing to find out.
7. I am thankful for cookies. They are awesome.
8. I am thankful I won't have lice again.
9. I am thankful for being able to say goodbye.
10. I am thankful for my mom.

What are YOU thankful for?

No comments: